Sunday, July 26, 2015

Medler's furniture quilt panel

a while back my mom asked me to design a quilt panel for a community quilt in portland. 

zach medler art

the panel was supposed to represent the furniture store that my family has owned and operated since 1944.  the furniture store or, just 'the store' as we refer to it, has been nostalgia central my entire life.  there was a wall in the office plastered with hundreds of family photos, newspaper clippings, awards, and letters. one of the building joists houses the growing heights of everyone in my family from my dad and his brothers, to me and my cousins, to my nieces and nephews. there is a shelf of some of my old pottery. there are just all these memories and stories of other people's memories wrapped up in that building for me.  as a kid i would spend weeks in the summer with my grandparents helping to deliver furniture or lay carpet, but mostly just spending time with my grandparents in portland. now my mom sits where my grandmother sat in the office, and my grandfather can still be found napping in one of the la-z-boy chairs on the floor.

zach medler art

zach medler linocut

zach medler linocut

the best in store advertisement ever.

zach medler art

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...