Monday, November 3, 2014

Small Spaces: 5 Questions with Cathryn English

Artist Cathryn English contributed a couple of really fun pieces for Small Spaces. 


She collaborated with Aaron Bumgarner on the piece Direct Orders, which you can view in the video above.


She also painted an Art Nouveau-inspired piece on the Haywood Printing Company building, and rabbits on N. 6th Street.



We asked Cathryn if she'd like to participate in "5 Questions," and here are the answers she shared with us!


1. What is your background in art?

I have been making art since I was a young child. I became serious about it in high school, and attended Kansas City Art institute.

2. What is your definition of street art?

I view street art as art that is in outdoor places not originally intended to display art. It also interacts with the surrounding spaces.

3. What are your influences and inspirations?

I'm heavily influenced by artists like Barbara Kruger and Katherina Fritsch. I am also inspired daily by close friends who are local artists. So many of my ideas come from long talks with my artist friends about local issues, community perceptions, and global trends in art. What inspires me most is artistic fellowship.

4. How do you think Small Spaces contributes to the art scene in Lafayette?

I am excited that so many local artists have had some exposure this summer. However, I have never seen so many people in our community talking about art, local art, community projects, and downtown improvement before. I think that's a valuable thing.

5. Where can we view more of your work?

I don't have a website at the moment, but I do a lot of painting privately and am always willing to share my projects by request.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...