Saturday, February 9, 2013

saturday afternoon snack

It's Chinese New Year eve! Get ready to bid the dragon goodbye and say hello to the year of the Snake!




this year's cookies (from top to bottom): mini "hae-bi hiam" spring rolls, "love letters", kueh bangkit, sugee

Growing up, I always loved Chinese new year eve more than Chinese new year day itself. All the wonderful things, I thought, happened on the eve of the big day. My uncles, aunts, and cousins would all gather at my grandparents' house for the most important meal of the year. This reunion dinner, is also the biggest meal of the year. I remember sitting at the kids' table and eating till I could barely walk. And then I would go to the living room and fill myself up further by nibbling on new year cookies. It was insane! Afterwards, I'd shower, put on my new pajamas, and wait eagerly for my grandparents' hong bao (red envelopes with money). When we got home, my mom and dad would turn on the TV and we'd sit and watch the countdown show. This was the only day of the year my brother and I got to stay up late.

It's been 16 years since I last celebrated Chinese New Year in Singapore. This time of the year lends itself to some BIG time nostalgia and homesickness. My mom always makes a special effort to make sure I get some new year cookies in the mail (thanks, mom!). Last year, Zach and I spent Chinese New Year on the plane, making our way back to Indiana from New York. This year, we are home and we are planning on eating a big meal. But before the eating can be done, there's lots of prep work and spring cleaning around the house to do. So I'm off for now!

Happy Chinese New Year!


2 comments:

Nixon K said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai to you too! My parents and brother are here to celebrate Chinese New Year with me this year. They finally get to have hot pot like it was meant to be eaten -- warm inside and COLD outside.

Unknown said...

:) your comment made me happy! happy new year to you and your family! i'm prepping for some good old steamboat tonight too, but it's just gonna be the two of us. stay warm!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...